Monday, February 14, 2011

Partners in Parenting, Jan. 31, 2011

Spies Among Us - Part I!
I was in Blockbuster looking for a video for my family to watch the other night when my attention was drawn to a little girl and her mom.  The little girl was only about 5 years old, but she had "the system" pretty well figured out.  Here's about exactly how it went:

Girl:  "Mom, I want to get this movie."
Mom:  "No, that one isn't a good one for you."
Girl (more loudly):  "Yes, it is.  I want this one!"
Mom:  "No.  You can't get that one."  (then she opened a window)  "Here, let me see it."
(and the 5 year old pounced)
Girl (screaming):  "I want that one.  Buy me that one."
Mom (very sternly):  "Just stop it and I'll get it."  (exasperated) "This is why I never want to take you anywhere."

That little girl worked mom over pretty good.  It happens to all of us.  It may be batting the eyes, a little whining, asking one parent over the other, crying, reminding us that "everyone is doing it," or just asking over and over until we cave in.  Our kids have been "spying" on us all along learning how to work us over when they need to.  Parents basically live with "spies."  They aren't evil in doing this.  They are just going about what it takes to get something they want, and they've learned our responses in order to get it. 
It's a good reminder that they are constantly watching us and learning.  Be ready for them when they see your weakness.  Stand firm and stand loving as you lead your kids.  I try every day.  It's hard, but it is worth it!

Family Discussion Points!
What are some indicators each family member has to let you know that they are ready to cave in - parents and kids.
Talk about a time when you "worked it" to get your way. 
Discuss a process of kids asking politely, parents responding to the request, and kids politely asking parents to reconsider.  This can avoid the scenario above.

No comments:

Post a Comment