Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Partners in Parenting



“Wherever You Go, There You Are!”
My freshman year of college, my roommate would constantly joke with me whenever I was heading to class early in the morning as he remained in bed.  He’d say things like:
“Remember, the sky is blue.”
“Remember, vegetables are good for you.”
“Remember, the past is the past.”
Really goofy stuff, right?  He’d do this all the time with simple one-liners that rarely made you think.  One phrase he started to say on a regular basis was one I still think of fairly often today.  He’d say, “Remember, wherever you go, there you are.”  At the time, I didn’t think much of it at all.  Today, I think of that simple phrase and wonder if I am really living that out.
When I go to the store, am I really there?  Or am I just there physically, but my mind is back home thinking of the work to be done there?
When I am at my child’s basketball game, am I really watching it?  Or am I texting, checking emails on my phone, making a grocery list, etc.?
When I am at home, am I really present for my family?  Or am I still thinking about work things that need to be accomplished?
It is difficult to “be” in the place that I actually “am” sometimes – and I don’t do Facebook or Twitter!!!  It is hard, but I am reminded of how much the people in my life need me to “be” exactly where I “am.” 
Distractions are everywhere – IF I let them be.  If I don’t let them, then I can “be.”  (Hey, is that a new saying my old roommate could use?)

Family Discussion Points!
Parents, any “sayings” that your parents had when you were growing up that you could share with your kids.  Any sayings in your own house today?
Do you find it hard to “be” where you “are” sometimes?  Why?
Are the distractions more important than the people?  Then why do we sometimes struggle?

No comments:

Post a Comment