Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Partners in Parenting



Sleep Deprivation!”
I had the opportunity to travel to Florida with my family over Spring Break this year.  We left after school on Friday and drove straight through until late afternoon on Saturday.  After our vacation, we left Florida at 10:30pm Friday and drove straight through until Saturday afternoon.  We had two trips.  Both involved driving for 18+ hours in a row with occasional stops for food and gasoline.  I had two very different experiences. 
On the drive down to Florida, I was fine until about 3:30am.  Jen drove until about 6:30am while I slept.  We stopped for breakfast, and I just never felt very good.  I thought I was “walking in a cloud” the whole time.  I drove a bit more, but I couldn’t make it.  I was just too tired to function behind the wheel.  Jen drove again.  Eventually, I had enough sleep and was able to drive the rest of the way.
On the drive back home, I only slept one hour while Jen drove.  I drove the rest of the way without any sleepiness or problems.
Why so different?????  Well, I really think that I began the trip to Florida tired from all the planning, packing, etc. to get ready to go on vacation.  On the way home, I was coming off six good days of rest and relaxation (I honestly don’t recall ever sleeping in so late in my entire life as on this vacation).  I was rested for the return trip.
Sleep deprivation is a serious problem.  It can do things to people…change them…conquer them…destroy them…magnify their weaknesses…break them down!  Yes, sleep deprivation is serious.  Consider the disciples in the garden who were Jesus’ closest disciples (Peter, James, and John).  They were chosen to support Jesus in his deepest hour of need for prayer, and they fell asleep.  He woke them up, but three times they fell asleep.  Jesus loved them, but their sleep deprivation conquered them.  “When he came back, he again found them sleeping, because their eyes were heavy.”  Matthew 26:43  I don’t think any of them WANTED to abandon Jesus, but they did.  Adequate sleep is good for people.  That’s probably why God used the 7th day of creation to rest – to show us our need for it!

Family Discussion Points!
Talk about what happens to people in your family when they don’t get enough sleep (anyone get crabby??).
Besides sleep, have each person name another thing they don’t want to be deprived of having (TV, food, water, faith).  Why did you answer like you did?
Do you need to change your bedtime to be sure you are getting enough rest?  Do you need to find time to “rest” from the busyness of life to rest in the presence of God and His Word?

No comments:

Post a Comment