Monday, April 13, 2015

Partners in Parenting



Partners in Parenting

Some of you may remember the television show “Unsolved Mysteries” from a few years back.  I don’t think it is on any longer, but I don’t know for sure.  I have one going on at my house!!! 
In the picture to the left, I have my mailbox post (brown) with some mulch around it.  The curved cement is the cul-de-sac.  The cement at the bottom of the picture is my driveway.  You can see grass on most of the lawn, but the corner of my lawn was driven on over and over all last summer.  Now, as soon as the snow melted, someone started driving over it again.  So, I decided to dump a whole bag of potting soil in the hole that was over a foot below the rest of the grass and four to six inches below the level of the cement.  I even staked the area with 3 green stakes to mark the space and let the grass seed I had planted grow without being disturbed.  I woke up Sunday morning to see one of the three stakes broken off and lying on the ground, a new hole formed, AND A TIRE TRACK LEADING AWAY!!! (see the dark cement on the cul-de-sac)  Yes, I’m yelling!!!  Holy smokes!! Who keeps doing this?  I’m so frustrated, and I can’t believe it keeps happening.  WHY?????  What part of “drive on the road” is someone unable to understand??!!  Seriously, this is hard to fathom.
As I put the stake back up and leveled the dirt again, I thought about how parenting can be a series of unsolved mysteries.  Mostly because all the mysteries aren’t worth the energy to solve:
Whose cup has been on the coffee table for 2 days?
Why are the kids’ socks always in a ball in the laundry? 
Who tracked mud through the house?
Why is the refrigerator door all sticky?

Unsolved mysteries can drive you crazy (like my driveway), or they can simply cause you to marvel.  Here is the mystery I hope always causes you to marvel:
“The angel said to the women, ‘Do not be afraid, for I know that you are looking for Jesus, who was crucified.  He is not here; he has risen, just as he said.’”  Matthew 28:5-6a

Family Discussion Points!
Can you think of some unsolved mysteries from the past week?
Who in your family usually gets the blame for unsolved mysteries in your house?  Does the dog ever get blamed?
Is there joy in the mystery of the empty tomb?  Why??

No comments:

Post a Comment