Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Partners in Parenting 1/19/16


Partners in Parenting
“Cutting wood warms the body twice!” (often quoted by my dad)
Over Christmas Break, I worked with my brother-in-law for a day cutting wood.  Last summer, a tornado went through my hometown and just south of my parent’s home.  The woods are full of trees torn apart by the wind from that tornado.  We were cutting the trees into pieces to drag to the edge of the woods.  From there, we can cut them into smaller lengths and split them for the fireplace.
It reminded me of all the time spent cutting wood with my dad when I was growing up.  My dad always said, “Cutting wood warms the body twice!”  It made me think about how God’s love warms the hearts of people.  However, for God’s love to warm the heart, we have to engage in allowing His love to be a part of our life to feel the effects.  Just like if I look at the wood, but I never cut it and burn it; it can’t even warm me once, let alone twice.  God’s love won’t warm our heart if we never actually engage in all that His love is.  His love is for us every day, but it is most evident in sending Jesus to be our Savior.  So how do we engage God’s love?  There are many ways.  Here’s a VERY short list:
Look at nature to see His work, worship with other Christians, pray, praise Him with songs or music, read your Bible, love others, (keep the list going as a family this week) etc.

Family Discussion Points!
As a family, finish this sentence and talk about it:  “Cutting wood warms the body twice, but God’s love warms the heart _____________!”
Parents, tell you kids about a time you had to do hard physical labor as a kid.
Share with your family things that you do together that make you feel really good (“warm”) inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment