Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Partners in Parenting, Jan. 10, 2011

Enjoying the view!
I had one last chance to go bowhunting over Christmas break.  I carried a bow, but I really wouldn't have had to.  I didn't expect to get a deer or even see one.  I just wanted to get into the woods to see what I could on a cold, windy day with snow everywhere.  So, here's what I saw:  a mouse scurrying from branch to branch across the snow, over 20 places where deer had been laying down, a squirrel walk within 5 feet of me without knowing it, birds playing a game of chase at about 350 mph (that looked so fun), snow falling straight sideways out of the west - wait a minute!!!  You see, I got to observe all these things that could be seen with my eyes, but I also got to see the effects of things I couldn't see - like the wind.  The wind is invisible, yet powerful!  I could see the snow, but I couldn't see what made it fly parallel to the ground - the wind.  Yet it was there.  I could feel it.  The same is true for our lives as Christians.  We sometimes marvel at all the things we can see, but we neglect to even acknowledge the things we can't.  Things like faith, God, joy, peace, love, and the wind.  We see the impact those things have on people, but we don't always acknowledge them.  Talk to your kids about the unseen things that matter so much in life!  They all come from God!  "For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible..."  Colossians 1:16a

Family Discussion Points!
As a family discuss:
What are some things we can see that we really like?
What are things that exist, but we can not see?  Don't forget that unseen things (like wind) often have great impact on the world around us.
How is our faith in Jesus unseen?  How is it seen by others?  Are both important?
Let me know if you have any questions when discussing this with your children!!

No comments:

Post a Comment