Monday, January 17, 2011

Partners in Parenting, Jan. 18, 2011

What is Age-Appropriate?
I am going to share something that I hope doesn't bring about any formal charges, arrests, or convictions! HAHA!  At nine years of age, my dad handed me the keys to the car and asked me to drive to town to get gas for him before the gas station closed.  Being an obedient son (yeah right), I headed for town 3 miles away taking all the back roads I could.  When I arrived, Dale (owner of the gas station and good friend of my dad) came to the window because it was a full-service station.  When I rolled down the window, Dale looked in, saw me, stood up, and said out loud, "Oh God.  Roll up the window."  He pumped the gas and walked away to put the amount owed on my dad's account.  I drove back home.  I was first excited to get to drive on the road, then scared that I'd get in an accident, and finally relieved to have made it home safely.
Many people might be angry with my dad, but here is the rest of the story.  I grew up in a rural farming community.  I had been driving tractors and other vehicles around the farm and occasionally on the road for a few years.  It was a normal way of life to be driving on the farm.  However, I agree that I was too young to be driving alone on a road.
As parents, we have to continually make decisions regarding when our child(ren) is old enough for an activity, movie, video game, cell phone, dating, freedom, decision making power, etc.   Age-appropriate shouldn't be left to chronological age alone.  Parents need to consider each child's developmental level of maturity in determining what is age-appropriate.  It's a difficult thing when parenting, but I'd always recommend erring on the side of caution in regards to whether your child is old enough yet.  They only get to be children once - let them enjoy the innocence of it.  I bet King Josiah lost lots of innocence as King of Israel at age 8!  "Josiah was eight years old when he became king, and he reigned in Jerusalem thirty-one years."  2 Kings 22:1

Family Discussion Points!
Parents, share some things your parents wouldn't let you do when you were young.
Children, share one thing you wish you were old enough to do RIGHT NOW!  Is that good for you to do now or not?
Discuss as a family whether you think parents are mean or loving when they say, "You aren't old enough for that."

1 comment:

  1. I am thoroughly enjoying the stories you share here and the perspective you give as it relates to Christ-centered parenting. Thanks for all you do for Trinity.

    ~ Rachel N.
    (I promise to introduce myself someday when dropping my eldest off at preschool. For now, the church directory will have to do!)

    ReplyDelete