Monday, April 11, 2011

Partners in Parenting, April 4, 2011

What does the future hold?
This past weekend, I had the opportunity to drive around in Chevrolet's new Volt - an electric car.  It was amazing to experience normal acceleration, handling, and overall feel of a car - without the sound of an engine.  It was a incredible experience.  Coincidentally, one of my children asked me on Saturday what kind of computer I had when I was a kid.  Funny question because I didn't.  I remember when my school got an Apple IIe for the school when I was in 5th grade.  One computer for the whole school was a technological breakthrough.  Now, many people carry their computers, planners, phones, etc. in their hand.  Where is all this stuff going for our kids?  What will their world be like?  Who knows?  So what are we to do as parents.  I really believe that the best thing we can do is prepare them for a changing world with a deep relationship with the one thing that will not change - Jesus Christ.  Jesus Christ will not change regardless of technological advances or other changes coming our way.  We simply cannot see the future completely unless we look at our eternal future.  That is all that is secure through faith in Jesus Christ as our Savior.  "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever." Hebrews 13:8  What does the future hold?  It holds Jesus Christ for all who believe.

Family Discussion Points!
Parents, tell a story to your kids about the first computer experience you ever had.
Kids, share with your parents what you think your life would be like without computers.  Then parents, let them know how different everything would really be for our present life.
Imagine what will happen with computers in the next 5, 10, 20 years.
Will Jesus Christ change in that time?

No comments:

Post a Comment