Monday, September 26, 2011

September 26, 2011

Partners in Parenting

Great Job Being Illogical!

Yesterday, I was reading Luke Chapter 5:1-11 where Jesus calls His first disciples - Simon (later named Peter by Jesus), James, and John.  Jesus asked Simon to do something very illogical.  Here's a quick recap of the account: 

Simon's been fishing all night without catching anything.  In the morning, he comes in to clean his nets, but Jesus jumps into his boat and has him go out into the water a little way.  Jesus proceeds to use Simon's boat as a pulpit, if you will, to teach the people.  Then, Jesus tells Simon to go into deeper water and let down his nets.  Simon has a very logical response since he makes his living as a fisherman.  He says in vs. 5, "Master, we've worked hard all night and haven't caught anything..."  Now he finishes with a very illogical statement.  "...But because you say so, I will let down the nets." 

As I read this willingness to follow the command of Jesus on Simon's part, I was reminded of how living out my faith as a Christian is not always logical.  The world’s logic is NOT God's logic.  The world says "get even."  God says "forgive."  The world says "blame someone else."  God says "ask for forgiveness."  The world says, "you have to get ahead in life."  God says, "because of your faith, you already are 'ahead' in life now and for eternity."  As a parent, I get so caught up in the worldly logic that I dismiss the Godly logic.  I want to focus my life and my parenting efforts on being illogical to the world!



Family Discussion Points!

Give an example of worldly logic and Godly logic to the following scenarios:

                I just got pushed by a classmate at recess, so I...

                Someone sent me a mean text message, so I decided to...

Talk about forgiveness for when we follow the world's logic.  Everyone needs to know there is forgiveness with God.  God's love is that great!

Think of something illogically nice to do for someone else.  Do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment