Monday, October 3, 2011

Partners in Parenting

A "Run-In with the Law"

I have to admit that I had a "run-in with the Law" on Saturday night.  Here's what happened:

I went to the farm where I grew up to enjoy participating in opening day of bow season here in Michigan.  I hunted until dark, walked back to the house, and went in to see my dad.  My dad came outside just as I was ready to open the door.  He said, "Man, am I glad to see you.  I was worried something happened out there."  I didn't really understand why he was so concerned, but he said it was because I wasn't back right away when it got dark.  We talked for a little bit before a Deputy Sheriff pulled into the driveway.  He jumped out of his truck and asked me if I was the missing person.  I couldn't believe it!  My dad had called 911 to report me missing since I wasn't back right at the time it became dark.  I had to give my personal information as a report needed to be filed, but I was otherwise "free to go!"  As I drove home, I was reminded of how I've had other experiences with police officers in my life.  They helped me remember to obey laws to keep myself and others safe.  That's when I connected it to God's Law in Scripture.  I was "free to go" on Saturday night because I hadn't done anything wrong, BUT I am "free to go" to heaven even though I've done everything wrong in life.  How is that possible - faith in Jesus Christ!  Jesus has paid the price for all my sins.  That is true for all Christians.  Freedom is found in Christ for all the times we fail as we have a "run-in with His law."

Romans 8:1-2 says, "Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death."



Family Discussion Points!

Parents, share a few stories of your "run-ins with the law."  (No, this won't be perceived as a "license" to go break the law too.)

Talk about what it means to be "free to go" when you haven't done something wrong vs. "free to go" for eternity when you have done something wrong - sin.

Discuss:  Is the law good or bad?

No comments:

Post a Comment