Monday, October 24, 2011

Partners in Parenting

Recognizing a Fake!

I have to admit that I got "taken" pretty good last Sunday evening.  We had a garage sale on Friday (all day) and Sunday (1pm - 4pm) over the weekend, but I had a final customer show up about 6pm wanting to buy some items.  He wanted $2 worth of items, and I informed him that they were free.  In fact, I said, "Anything you want here is free.  The sale is over, and we want to get rid of it."  He selected a few more items, and he insisted on paying.  I was working in the back yard and wanted to get back to work, so I let him pay the $5 he insisted on paying.  Bad move on my part since he paid with a $50 bill.  I found out the following Wednesday that it was a counterfeit bill.  Ah, no wonder he insisted on paying!  He got $45 of real money, and I got "taken."  In 1 Kings Chapter 18, Elijah lets all of Israel know that they have been "taken" by the false gods of Baal and Asherah and their prophets.  The prophets totaled 850 people!  Quite a following, but it was all FAKE.  Elijah (only prophet of God) challenged the prophets of Baal (450 prophets) on Mount Carmel in order to decide if God was God or Baal was god.  What a hilarious account, and it is about the only time I find taunting humorous.  Read 1 Kings 18:16-40 to get all the details.  In your family and mine, there are fake gods - money, cars, TV, computers, toys, iPods, clothes, busyness, cleanliness, alcohol, etc...  All stuff we place so much importance on instead of the REAL THING - GOD OUR HEAVENLY FATHER.  Let's get focused on the real God and His Son, Jesus Christ.  The rest are all fakes - don't get "taken" by the world's gods.

Family Discussion Points!

What is your family's favorite evening activity?  Is it a god or just an activity?

What gods do you have in your life?  Each family member can share things they place above God, our Father.

Discuss how all those things that can become gods are not bad except when we give them priority over God.  That is when they are not good.

No comments:

Post a Comment