Monday, January 9, 2012

Partners in Parenting

Avoiding Consequences!

This past weekend, I sat with my son watching a football game.  The TV announcer shared that a player was not allowed to start the game because he was late for a team meeting earlier in the week.  My son was really surprised that such a consequence would be given to a professional athlete making millions of dollars.  I simply stated that I wasn't that surprised because consequences are a part of every person's life.  I don't know about this athlete's circumstances for being late on this particular occasion, but every consequence has a precursor.  In other words, something happens first to get a consequence.  So, how do our kids typically try to avoid consequences?  As I work with kids here at school, they usually try to change, alter, or lie about the behavior that brought about the consequence.  When that happens, I'm not happy, but I'm not surprised either.  That's been the natural response since Adam and Eve.  Genesis 3:11 has God asking Adam if he ate the fruit off the tree he was commanded not to eat.  Genesis 3:12 has Adam’s avoidance technique response, "The woman you put here with me - she gave me some fruit from the tree, and I ate it."  Adam didn't avoid the consequence of being thrown out of the garden.  Our kids will try to avoid consequences all the time.  It is normal, but it is also sinful.  I'd encourage you to provide consequences even when your kids "wiggle" to avoid them.

Family Discussion Points!

Parents, share a normal consequence you got when growing up.  Share a really bad one.

Parents, share a consequence you can get at your place of employment.

Talk about ways people avoid consequences.  What's wrong with doing that (it is dishonest)?

No comments:

Post a Comment