Monday, January 23, 2012

Partners in Parenting

Lessons from Lice!

As you are probably aware, I have been spending many hours looking through the hair of students looking for these teeny, tiny, little, hard to spot lice eggs (called nits).  It is so tedious and takes time looking for them in other people.  I've had Mrs. Knopf check me tons of times because I can't check myself.  Here are some lessons from lice that I applied to life:

  • As a parent, it can become easy to be too harsh or critical of the little things I see in my kids without looking at myself first.
  • I was also reminded of how I can focus on other people's flaws without paying any attention to my own. 
  • I also thought of how something so small can really be a big problem if left unattended.
  • I received a great lesson in perseverance in times of difficulty as did every family who had kids with lice.

As I considered all this, I was reminded of a Bible passage from Matthew about looking for something very small in others without any regard for ourselves.  It is valuable to remember to be cautious about passing judgment on others when we are all sinners.  "Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.  Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?"  Jesus' words from Matthew 7:1-3

We can always learn lessons from the good and bad side of a great teacher - real life.


Family Discussion Questions!

What are some little things you've had to look for in the past (keys, wallet, coins, etc.)

What are some things you are too picky about as a parent?  As a child?

Discuss finding flaws in others.  Why do we do it?  Who does it make feel better when we find flaws in others?

Discuss perseverance in adversity.

No comments:

Post a Comment