Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Partners in Parenting

"Powerful Reminders!"

Last week, I was so excited to get an afternoon to myself to spend in the woods.  I love to be out in the woods to walk, explore, think, and relax.  I drove to the farm I grew up on ready to make the half mile walk to the woods, but upon arrival, I found my dad struggling to untangle some rope.  At 82 years old, my dad's hands don't work very well any longer, and he needed the rope to plant a straight line in his garden.  I spent time helping him in the garden, but I was really thinking about the woods.  He got the first seeds in the ground, and he was so excited.  He even pumped his fist and said, "There'll be red beets soon!"  The rain drops had just started falling as he was planting.  Then, the sky grew darker and darker.  My dad and I talked in the garage and watched the rain fall.  The dark sky turned grey due to the torrential downpour that ensued.  Hail, wind, and tons of rain all came very quickly.  I thought to myself, "I hope those red beets know how to swim," but I couldn't say that to my dad (see picture #1).  I was very frustrated to realize that I wouldn't get to make my trip to the woods, but I was suddenly thankful I didn't get caught out in that storm. 

Powerful reminder - I can only control so much in life, but I can't control everything.  God's in control of everything, not me.  In the flow of life, that sometimes frustrates me, but ultimately, I am so thankful that God is in control.  His knowledge, power, presence, love, grace, and forgiveness is beyond my own, and that is a very good thing.  (NOTE:  A few hours later, I got another powerful reminder of God's control in my life - see picture #2 of double full rainbow)

As parents, things happen that are powerful reminders that we aren't always in control of our children's decisions.  They make mistakes.  They disappoint us.  Our job is to respond with powerful reminders of our love, grace, and forgiveness just as God does.  Yes, we provide consequences when appropriate, but we also respond in love.  That is a powerful reminder to our children that they are loved.

Family Discussion Points!

Talk about who is in control of things in your home (toys, yard work, cooking, etc.)

Talk about whether control is a good thing or a bad thing.  How and why?

Is God's ultimate control comforting or not as you live?


































No comments:

Post a Comment