Monday, October 29, 2012

Partners in Parenting


“Finding Value!”

I don’t like shopping, but I like it when I find what I am intending to buy – and it’s on SALE!!  It makes me feel good to get more value for my dollar.  One of my kids commented yesterday, “When I’m old enough to drive, gas is going to be $20.”  A family conversation about the value of things over time launched from that statement.  It made me think about what I value in life.  Have you thought about that lately?  I haven’t, and yet, I know that considering what I value will impact how I live my life, with whom I spend time, and where I will invest my energy.  God has found value in humankind, and He sent his son to die for everyone.  We are that valuable to Him!  In talking about birds and humans, Jesus said, “Are you not much more valuable than they [birds]?” Matthew 6:26.  I encourage you to talk about the things you value in life with your family.

Family Discussion Points!

Talk about the things each family member values.  Talk about the people each family member values.  Prioritize worship and time with God against all the things you mentioned as things you value.

Consider things that have little or no value to you.

Talk about value over time – my kids really understood the value of toys that were expensive when they first came out compared to their value today (Nintendo DS, iPod, etc.).

No comments:

Post a Comment