Monday, November 5, 2012

Partners in Parenting


“Cool Chills but Cold Bites!”

Chills = relaxed and enjoyable

Bites = painfully unpleasant

These definitions are ones I made up for the purpose of this writing!

The cool autumn air makes me feel rather “chills” inside.  I love the cool weather: jeans, sweatshirts, football, leaves, etc. are great, but now we are into November.  The cold this past weekend was the kind of cold that “bites.”  The air was moist with the wind blowing out of the north.  I was not outside very long when the cold became more than uncomfortable.  The cold penetrated all the way to my bones, and I thought, “Wow, this cold really bites all the way through me.”

As I endured the cold, I was reminded of how my words can be “chills” or “bites” to others.  Most times, I don’t desire to hurt anyone, but it can happen.  I don’t want words to be unpleasant, but sometimes they are.  I especially need to be aware of this as a parent.  James 1:19 “My dear brothers, take note of this:  Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry…”

Family Discussion Points!

Talk about a time you hurt someone with your words without intending to do so.

What kind of words do you remember most easily:  words that chill or words that bite?

Why are we to be slow to speak?  What’s the benefit?

No comments:

Post a Comment