Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Partners in Parenting

“Silent in the Snow!”

Over the Christmas break, my two boys and the neighbor boy built a huge igloo by our driveway.  Before they made it into an awesome igloo, I went out and hollowed out a bunch of it.  I crawled inside and instantly, everything went silent.  It was amazing that I couldn’t hear anything going on outside of that igloo any longer.  I was warm.  I couldn’t feel the wind.  I heard a really interesting sound – silence!  I closed my eyes, and I was interested to find my mind immediately focused on God.  It was odd that I suddenly thought of God and his gifts of snow, love, family, and on and on it went.  I found myself inside a big pile of snow enjoying absolute silence while talking to God like He was in there with me.  The realization came to me that God was with me the whole time I was outside the igloo as well as now inside it.  The difference was that silence brought Him to the forefront of my mind.  Silence, what a way to find time with God!  God even says:  “Be still and know that I am God…” Psalm 46:10

Family Discussion Points!

Where can/do you find the most silence in your house?  When does that happen?

Have every family member lay on the floor in silence for 2 minutes.  Talk about what you thought of during that time after it is done.

Talk about when silence is a good thing.  When it is a bad thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment