Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Partners in Parenting


“The Ability to Speak the Truth!”

This past week, I had a very cool conversation with a young man I had just met. He told me that through a personal finance class, he had figured out that “you have to make a lot of money in order to ever be able to save any money.”  That jumped out at my ears since I believe that is one of the lies many of our youth believe.  I asked him if he could save $10 in a bank account from his first paycheck if his paycheck was $100.  He said he probably could do that.  So I told him to decide now to do exactly that – save 10% of whatever his paycheck is for the rest of his life.  I told him he would grow into having enough money if he always “pays himself” with 10% savings every pay day.  He was quietly thinking for a few moments before he said, “Yeah, that would probably work.”  I pray God gives me a chance to talk to him some more about this or other things.  This conversation reminded me of how often I have to point out “lies of the culture” to my own children.  All parents have to do that.  God had to point out Moses’ excuses of an inability to speak well as lies when God asked him to lead the Israelites out of Egypt.  [God said] “Now go; I will help you speak and will teach you what to say.”  Moses believed the lie that he couldn’t speak well and was of no use to God.  God spoke the truth to Moses that he was the perfect spokesman for God in Egypt.  Parents, you are the same spokesman for truth to your kids!

Family Discussion Points!
Play a game of True or False as a family.  Parents, make up some lies to see how the kids respond.
Where can absolute truth be found?  It is only in the Bible, but what about my own truth???  Isn’t that also true?
Talk about how each family member can save some money with whatever they earn.  Don’t forget about CEF Stamps if you aren’t already participating.  Talk to me if you want to learn more.

No comments:

Post a Comment