Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Partners in Parenting




“Seeing is Believing!”
Each morning, our students do a “Morning News” for the school.  It is seen in every classroom on their TVs hanging on the wall.  I have a Kindergarten student who has told me every day since the first day of school, “I saw you on TV today!”  Every time I see him during the day, he makes me feel like a movie star – ha ha!  While I’m far from famous for being on our morning announcements, I am a reality in the lives of the students in a visual presence (on TV) and physical presence (in the hallways and classrooms).  They can see me.  They can talk to me.  They can get to know me.  They can hug or high five me.  Etc.
The students see me and believe I exist --- seeing is believing.  So I started thinking about whether our children can see Jesus in their life or not.  They’ve not seen Him on TV.  They’ve not heard Him talk out loud.  They’ve not had a chance to give Him a hug or high five.  Jesus is a reality in the lives of our children in many ways, but I wonder if they “see” it or not.  Paul wrote this to the early church in Corinth:  “So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen.  For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.”  II Corinthians 4:18 
Paul is talking about fixing our eyes on Jesus, but I am talking about helping children, and really adults too, see Jesus at work in their life.  Here are some concrete ways to share that with children using your words:
  • “See the sunrise, Jesus made that.”  (In the morning)
  • “You didn’t get hurt today partly because Jesus is always protecting you.”  (After a near accident or injury)
  • “You got an A on your homework.  Great job using the great mind Jesus gave you.”  (When a student gets a good grade)
  • “Hey, I heard you compliment your brother.  That happened because Jesus lives inside of you.”  (When a child uses kind words to someone)
  • “Look at all the food Jesus has made available to us.” (When in the grocery store)
  • “I’m sure thankful to have this house.  Who do you think gave us this house?”  (On a rainy or stormy night)
Family Discussion Points!
Talk about ways you can “see” Jesus all around you because to a young child, who thinks very concretely, “see is believing.”
Discuss 10 ways you see Jesus each day for the next 3 days – after 3 days, has that changed your perspective?  Your child(ren)’s?
Continue to point out ways you “see” Jesus each day – this is showing your children Jesus in great ways!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment