Monday, September 23, 2013

Partners in Parenting



 “Inside vs. Outside!”
It has been rather chilly outside the last few days.  I love it, and I want to be outside in the cool air!  I know some others who hate it, and prefer to stay inside in their heated house.  While outside on a very chilly night recently, one of my kids said a pretty profound thing to me.  “I love being outside… So I am kind of cold on the outside, but I am really ‘warm’ on the inside.”  I chuckled when I heard it, but after thinking for a few seconds, I realized that the “inside” he was referring to was not about his core body temperature.  He was referring to what makes him come alive inside.  He was talking about passion, enjoyment, being alive, and intrinsic happiness.  But to a kid, it is just being “warm on the inside.”  I then thought about myself, and what makes me “warm on the inside.”  Hmm???  Like anyone reading this right now, I have many facets to my life.  Some fill me.  Some drain me.  Some bring me enjoyment.  Some bring me stress.  Some make me “warm on the inside.”  I plan to make those a little higher priority in the days ahead for myself, but I also want to make it a higher priority for the rest of my family too.  First, we have to talk more about what those things are that make each of our hearts come alive so that we feel “warm on the inside.”  “Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life.”  Proverbs 4:23  Life is so much more about the inside than the outside!

Family Discussion Points!
Talk as a family about what makes each person feel “warm on the inside” in life.  Help each other spend more time doing those things provided they are healthy things to do.
Is Jesus love for you on each person’s list?  Is family time?   Any common things?
As you feel the sting of the cold in the days and months ahead, be mindful of the fact that God has given you a heart --- where real warmth is from anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment