Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Partners in Parenting



“Because I Said So!”
During dismissal the other day, I was calling out kids names based upon the vehicle of their parents.  I do this most every day, and I think I’m getting pretty good at it at this point of the school year.  I even recognized the vehicle of a young student’s aunt on this particular day – or so I thought!! 
I asked the young boy, “Is that your aunt’s grey car in line?”
“Nope. That’s not hers” was his quick response, so I didn’t have him get ready to go home.
As his aunt drove up to pick him up, he very matter-of-factly pointed out to me, “See Mr. Petzold, her car is silver.”
I was laughing so hard inside at his assurance that silver is silver.  It is NOT grey.  I couldn’t tell the difference.  So why couldn’t grey and silver be the same?  Well, because he said so.  I don’t think I could have convinced him if I tried, that a grey car and silver car are essentially the same thing.  I decided to not bother explaining and just enjoy the good laugh for the day.
As a parent, I still use, “Because I said so…” with my kids from time to time.  I generally explain the rationale for rules, consequences, saying “no” to requests they make, etc., but sometimes, I don’t explain myself more than to say, “Because I said so.”  Some people may think I should always explain, but due to the loving and trusting relationship a parent has with their child, an explanation isn’t always needed.  Over time, children learn that their parents have love and good things in mind for them in all situations.  At the heart of the issue is TRUST.  Children trust parents who are consistently creating boundaries that are clear – much more clear than the difference between grey and silver.
The 10 commandments from God are very clear.  I find it interesting that he doesn’t explain why to any of the commandments until the 4th one:  “Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the Lord you God is giving you.”  Exodus 20:12  Before that one, there is no explanation from God, but the Israelites were to obey out of trust for God simply “because He said so.”

Family Discussion Points!
Why are there rules and boundaries in every home?  Are they loving or hurtful?
Is “Because I said so” an acceptable response in your home?  Why or why not?
Why is explaining boundaries important?  Why is not having to explain boundaries important?

No comments:

Post a Comment