Monday, October 7, 2013

Partners in Parenting



“He Smells Like Mr. Petzold!”
The other day, I had a number of Kindergarten and 1st Grade students in the hallway at the same time.  One of them gave me a hug.  That hug started a chain reaction of many kids hugging me all at once.  As I talked to the kids a little bit, one girl made a hilarious statement to her friend as they walked away:  “He smells like Mr. Petzold.”  I thought that was such a funny thing to say – especially since I AM MR. PETZOLD.  I mean, I really shouldn’t smell like anyone but myself.  You may be reading this and getting a little concerned reading about smelling people.  However, have you noticed how each person in your family has a little different smell to them. It is their own.
I used to hold by kids, when they were babies, in front of me facing out.  One reason was so they could see the world and everyone in it.  The other reason was so I could smell their head frequently.  And all 3 of my kids smelled different from the other.  Have you noticed that in your kids.  Try it if you haven’t.
Noticing differences in a child’s smell is one thing, but noticing their unique abilities, talents, skills, dispositions, and aptitudes is another thing.  Notice those things too.  God has made each person different, and it is our job to notice those differences as parents.  When we notice those differences, we can help our kids grow up aware of who they are, who they aren’t, and who God made them to be in His world.  So tonight, take a sniff, and then watch carefully to notice their uniqueness in all things.  “I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; you works are wonderful, I know that full well.” Psalm 139:14

Family Discussion Points!
Here’s a goofy one:  Give each person in your family the “sniff test” tonight.  Take notice!
Talk about unique physical traits of each person.  Unique personal traits (organized, sloppy, serious, happy-go-lucky, calm, active, etc.)
Make a point to talk about God’s unique design for each person.  He has made us.  We are HIS!!

No comments:

Post a Comment