Monday, November 11, 2013

Partners in Parenting



Partners in Parenting
“Differences are Important, but so is Unity!”
I was reading on in my Bible at church the other night while visiting my home congregation.  I came across a verse that really caught my attention.  You see, my #1 strength using Clifton’s Strength Finders is Individualization.  Basically, that means I inherently see everyone’s uniqueness and strongly dislike generalizations about anyone.  I am of German heritage, but I don’t think of myself as a German – I am Julian.  I don’t think of myself as “all males” either – I am Julian.  I don’t think of myself as a farm boy – I am Julian.  To me, nobody is a group!  Everyone is who they are, so you can’t think of them any other way!  I know not everyone thinks that way, but I certainly do.
Well, the Bible verse sure lumped everyone together in ONE GROUP, so it really made me take notice:  “You are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus,…” Galatians 3:26 
I was reminded that God obviously appreciates the differences in all the people He has made, but He also unites people in faith in Jesus.  I was reminded of how God values differences, but he also values unity.  That fact reminded me of families.  Families are all different, but they are united as family members because God made it that way.  Same with faith – Christians are all different, but they are united as family members because God made it that way through faith.

Family Discussion Points!
Point out positive differences of family members – no pointing out negative differences.
Discuss who made family members differently (God) and why you think that happened.  What’s the purpose?
As a family, list things that apply to everyone.  Talk about your unity.  (example:  Last name Petzold, Christians, baptized, sleep in our house, etc.  Keep it going)

No comments:

Post a Comment