Monday, March 3, 2014

Partners in Parenting



Climate Change!
I flew to Florida two weeks ago.  It was warm and sunny every day until the day I left.  It was a shock to my system.  I have been in the freezing cold climate of Michigan all winter, and I was suddenly sweating as I waited for my rental car inspection to be finished.  No, Florida wasn’t that hot.  I was just dressed in the same warm clothes as when I left Michigan.
I admit to not drinking enough water every day, but when I got to Florida, I HAD to have it.  I went to the store the morning after I got there to get a case of water.  The heat felt really hot because I just wasn’t used to it.  Just as I started to get used to it, it was time to come home to Michigan again.  Another climate change – all in the same week.
Experiencing the climate changes on my trip made me consider the climate of my home.  As a parent, I play a part in creating the “climate of our home.”  I am one of five people in my home, but I think I play a larger role in creating the climate of our home than one-fifth.  So does my wife.  As the parents, we are called by God to lead our home.  Everyone contributes to the climate, but we, as parents, are called to lead.
We can’t wait for the climate of spring to arrive and change what we’ve been enduring this winter.  Is a climate change needed at home too?  If so, who will lead making the change happen?  What if the answer to that question was…God!!  He can change the climate when we imitate His love.  Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children and live a life of love…” Ephesians 5:1,2a

Family Discussion Points!
Name the hottest place you’ve ever been!  Coldest!
Who wishes winter was over and why?  Do you promise today to never complain about the heat this summer??
What words would you use (or would other people use) to describe the climate of your home?  Do you want to change it?  What will change it (see above verse)?
What does love look like in a home?  What doesn’t it look like?
(I realize the climate of a home may not be very good at all.  I grew up that way, so I get it.  My parents rarely spoke a kind word to each other when I grew up.  I, also, am a sinful husband and father, and I live with sinful people in my home.  It won’t be perfect, but an overriding climate is evident.  If it isn’t good, a desire to change has to be everyone’s goal.  Don’t forget that sinfulness is in all of us, so the only perfect home will be in heaven!)

No comments:

Post a Comment