Monday, March 17, 2014

Partners in Parenting




Being Wanted!
Most people would probably admit that they like being wanted by another person.  Being wanted means that you play a significant part in the other person’s life.  Isn’t it great to have a friend want to spend time with you?  Isn’t it a great feeling to be asked out on a date – by your spouse?  Isn’t it an awesome feeling to have your child, say to you, “I’m struggling with something, and I want your advice?”  We live as relational people desiring to be bonded with others through the mutual desiring of each other’s affection.  Being wanted by another is generally a very good thing.
However, outlaws are sometimes placed on “Wanted” lists with the police, FBI, or other law enforcement agencies.  That kind of being “Wanted” is not a good thing.  I thought I was coming to school for a regular day of school here at Trinity last week, but when I got here, I discovered that myself and two teachers were on “Wanted” posters throughout the school.  Uh Oh, what had I done?  Well, you’ll have to read the poster to find out my crime (see below).
Parenting can become a blessing of being wanted as well as a curse of being wanted.  Being wanted by my kids for A:  bedtime prayers, hugs, band aids, holding, help with problems, and general provision of food, shelter, and clothing, is something I cherish.  Being wanted by my kids for B:  spending money, a ride here or there, fixing a broken toy, the “whooping boy” of overreacting, and the general barrage of whining, complaining, and unwarranted disgruntledness is something I loathe.

Notice the difference between A and B.  As parents, kids want us to be there for them for both.  The part I find difficult is to find satisfaction in parenting with responses like the list B.  Read the two lists again.  Both lists communicate the same thing in very different ways.  They communicate – I want you in my life.  Help!

Parents need to help their children learn that love is a constant.  Love just may look as different as list A and B above.  Parents are most wanted for their love.
“[Love] always protects, always trust, always hopes, always perseveres.  Love never fails.” I Corinthians 13:7,8a

Family Discussion Points!
When are the times that kids most want their parents around to show them love?
Parents, is discipline a form of love? Why did you answer the way you did?
Talk about the pressures of being wanted in too many directions by too many people in too short a time frame.  What does that do to a person?

No comments:

Post a Comment