Monday, May 5, 2014

Partners in Parenting



“Don’t Quit!”
I really enjoy exercising.  I like all kinds of sports, and I enjoy the physical activity of playing sports.  Basketball, hockey, ultimate Frisbee, running, biking, volleyball, etc. is all fun to me.  I like being a bit out of breath during an activity.  I like mildly sore or “tight” muscles the next day.  I like the positive energy in my body that exercise creates.  Since I’ve only had a few sports injuries in my whole life, exercise has a huge “up-side” for my body and overall health.  I’ve been thinking about this so much as I anxiously await the arrival of warm weather to start exercising regularly again.  The truth is though, I have just used the weather as an excuse since winter started.  My exercise pattern has been very sporadic since then, and I’ve gotten started a few times without continuing.  Why?  I could give a list of reasons (starting with the schedule of my three kids), but in the end, I wouldn’t be giving you reasons, I’d be giving you excuses.  There is a difference between the two.  Ask your child to clean their room tonight and listen to their response.  Do they give you reasons or excuses for why they can’t do it tonight???
My spiritual life can be just like my exercise life – sporadic.  The habit of daily prayer, weekly worship, regular reading of my Bible, and time spent talking to God are all things with a huge “up-side” without any “down-side” at all.  I just have to remember to discipline myself to not give up once I start.  Like exercising, when I quit the healthy patterns of my daily walk with God, I lose out.  I want to encourage you to start if you haven’t yet or continue if you’ve already started – exercising and spending daily time with God.  Either way, don’t quit!
Paul wrote to the early church:  “Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize?  Run in such a way as to get the prize.”  I Corinthians 9:24

Family Discussion Points!
Is it hard for you to start exercising or keep exercising or both?
What is the long-term benefit of exercise to the body?
What is the long-term benefit of exercise in daily walking with God?
What is the consequence for quitting and why is it easy to quit?

No comments:

Post a Comment