Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Partners in Parenting

 “Are you a ‘CRAZY’ parent?”
As if the question in the title wasn’t bad enough, let me give you the answer:  YES, you are a crazy parent!  And you should be.  We all are to some extent.  Love is a crazy thing that makes a person do crazy things.  For instance, I’ve come to really like movies that are classified as romantic comedies.  I used to loathe them.  My love for my wife has brought me to watch a ton of them with her, and now, I actually like them.  Love made me do it!
Our love for our kids make us more sensitive to their hurts, aware of their limitations, anxious about their failures, upset about their poor treatment from others, etc.  Ever feel your “blood boil” toward another person (child or adult) who has made your child feel less than fabulous.  I have, and it’s because I can become “CRAZY” with my love for my kids.  It isn’t easy all the time, but I try to keep a broad perspective on my kids and life in general to help me place everything in its proper context.
Parents are supposed to love their kids with a “crazy” kind of love, but that love also should be smothered in a great deal of perspective on life.  We learned to have a “crazy” love for our kids from God.  After all, only a “crazy” kind of love would have our Father in heaven send His Son, Jesus, to be our Savior despite our hurts, limitations, failures, and poor treatment.  Love made Him do it.  “For God so loved the world that He gave his one and only Son that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.”  John 3:16

Family Discussion Points!
As parents, is it hard to see your kids with perspective?  What are they good at?  Not so good at?  Need help with?  Can teach others about?
Is it good to be a “crazy” parent?  Yes, No, or both.  Talk about it.
How does life change knowing you have a “crazy” parent in God?

No comments:

Post a Comment