Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Partners in Parenting

“Plans are only plans.  Reality is what counts!”
As the principal, I get to review all the teachers’ lesson plans each week.  They hand them in on Monday, and I make sure I go through them by the end of the day Monday.  I enjoy seeing all the great things the teachers are doing with their kids.  The projects, Bible stories, literature, writing assignments, art, math, etc. are interesting for me to see.  However, I have to admit that there is one teacher’s plans that I like better than any other.  Oh, don’t get me wrong, I like them all, but one set of plans makes me laugh out loud every time – because I have NO IDEA WHAT THEY MEAN!  Can you guess what teacher??  See below for the answer.
The last time I looked at these plans, I was reminded of how these plans really mean nothing to me because I can’t read very much of them.  What matters to me is the reality of what is happening in that classroom – and it is awesome.  I think I’m confused looking at lesson plans, but I get really confused seeing the lesson plans in action because not only can I not understand the teacher…I can’t understand the students.  With that being the case, I know it must be good stuff happening.
I’m also reminded of how our kids look forward to things.  Planning a trip is fun, but actually going on the trip is what counts.  Planning to play a family game tomorrow night is a great idea, but actually playing a game together is what really counts.  Planning becomes meaningless if it isn’t followed by reality!
Jesus tells a short parable of two sons in Matthew 21:28-32.  Both sons make a plan regarding their father’s request, but only one follows his father’s request and works in the vineyard.  Jesus is clearly sharing with the Pharisees that there is a huge distinction between planning to follow God and actually following God.  It took some lesson plans to remind me of that truth!

Family Discussion Points!
Talk about a time when you planned to do something as a family, and for some reason it didn’t happen.  How did that feel?
Talk about the Bible passage in Matthew 21, and what it means to plan to obey your parents and actually obey your parents.
Can you guess without looking below whose lesson plans I’m referring to above?  If not, see the end of this section.

Mrs. Anne Phillips – Spanish





No comments:

Post a Comment