Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Partners in Parenting 11/3/15


Partners in Parenting

“I realized I wasn’t alone after all!”
That title might sound like a memorable line from a horror movie, but it is a thought I had the other day.  Here’s what happened:
My family had just all left the house, and I had the place to myself.  Nobody to bother me for anything.  Peace and quiet were all mine.  I had some reading to do, but I was free to take a nap if I wanted to do that instead.  I was so thankful for the moment. UNTIL…
“Tap, tap, tap, tap, tap-tap, tap, tap-tap-tap-tap, tap, (long pause) tap, tap, tap-tap-tap, tap!’  And it was loud.  I realized I wasn’t alone after all.  I followed the sound to the kitchen to the right of our stove.  I heard an animal in the wall or ceiling tapping or biting, hitting, or doing something to try to get out.  I tried to locate the exact spot where the critter was at, but I couldn’t.  I finally went upstairs to my daughter’s bedroom.  The noise was even louder there.  I spent almost an hour trying to figure out the source of the noise.  I couldn’t do it, and I couldn’t relax any longer.  I was completely frustrated. I decided to go outside to get some work done out there and escape the maddening and repetitive noise of the house.
I walked into the garage to hear nothing but, “tap, tap, tap-tap-tap, tap, tap-tap!”
After more investigating and patiently trying to locate the source of the sound, I solved the mystery.  The source of the noise was a downy woodpecker.  That is a lot of noise from a little bird.  It was pecking a hole in the cedar on the side of the house.  It didn’t seem to mind that I was there looking at it.  I scared it away, and it hasn’t been back since.  Tonight, I have to go fill the 2 large holes with caulk.

I was a bit frustrated because I lost so much time to be alone in my house.  However, it also reminded me that I am never alone.  God is with me every moment of my life, and He always will be.  Funny that a woodpecker could annoy me so much, and in the end, make me think about God’s amazing love!
“The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.  Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.”  Deuteronomy 31:8

Family Discussion Points!
Talk about times you think or feel alone.  Are you really ever alone?
Talk about whether it makes you more brave when you realize God is always with you.
Spend some alone time with God at least once this week.  Just spend some time in silence talking to the only one around – God!

No comments:

Post a Comment