Monday, November 9, 2015

Partners in Parenting 11/9/15


Partners in Parenting

“Body Language usually SCREAMS!”

In doing some professional reading this past week, I read a paragraph about teachers engaging students through their body language.  Body language makes up over 50% of communication most of the time – in other words:  It SCREAMS!  I immediately thought of my own body language when talking to my kids at home.  So I came up with an idea for this week.  I will follow these rules:
  1. I will not speak to any family member while looking at a screen (phone, TV, tablet, iPad, anything with a screen).  WOW, I didn’t realize how much I’d have to focus on that.  This let’s them know they have my full attention.
  2. I will always look at the person I am talking to – even if I have to move into the room where they are located.  This lets them know I am truly interested.
  3. I will turn my body toward any family member that is talking to me unless it isn’t necessary because we are all sitting at the table together.  This lets them know I care about what they are saying.
  4. I will end all conversations with some kind of a “thank you for sharing” kind of a comment to validate the time spent in conversation.
I made the rules up, but it is taking effort to live by them.  I hope the results at the end of the week include a closer relationship and better communication with all my family members.  We will see, but I don’t think this can be a bad idea!

Family Discussion Points!
Parents - pick a rule or two or three or four to follow for the week and see what God does in your relationships.
No real discussion except to talk with your spouse and/or children about what they noticed at the end of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment