Monday, March 5, 2012

Partners in Parenting

Standing on Holy Ground! - to the players I coached and their parents!

I had the chance to stand on "Holy Ground" this past week.  It isn't quite like when God told Moses to take his sandals off in the book of Exodus, but it was indeed special beyond belief.  "Do not come any closer," God said.  "Take off your sandals, for the place you are standing is holy ground." Exodus 3:5  Moses found himself suddenly in the midst of something so profound and exceptional that he was to remove his sandals.  It was a moment in God's presence.  So personal that God asked for the removal of even the barrier of sandals.  He wanted Moses to fully touch that holy ground on which he stood.

Well, here's what happened this past weekend:

The 7th and 8th Grade Boys Basketball Team qualified for the State Tournament this year for the first time.  It was a goal of the team from the beginning of the season.  We lost our first game.  Our second game was a completely different experience.  The crowd was so loud and the competition fierce.  I can't put into words the emotional intensity of that game for everyone in the building.  The game ended in a tie after we just barely missed a shot at the buzzer.  Overtime remained exciting, but we ended up losing the game.  An amazing experience, but the game had no comparison to what happened after the game. 

We found an empty locker room.  It was just the team, Assistant Coach Rob Shippy, and me.  We sat in silence with tears flowing down a few faces of these young men.  I found myself at a loss for words.  Our season was over.  For some, their Trinity career was over.  The reality was sinking in, and as it sunk in, it was hitting hard.  I finally began to speak about how proud I was them as a team.  I shared how their goals for the year had been reached.  I reminded them that the pain (especially for the 8th graders) was very real.  I shared some other stuff to help build them up during these difficult moments.  Then I said, "Does anyone have anything they want to share?"  Team members started to talk.  As they did, more of them began to cry.  As a few players said a few words to me, I began to cry.  Words continued to be shared with each other for another 15 minutes or so, and the character of each of these young men was exposed for others to see.  We, as a team, were alone in a locker room, and we were on "holy ground" because the words were so profound and exceptional.  This is rare, and it is special.



Players,  I am thankful for each of you, and I have loved being with you so much over the past few months.  You have grown as players, but you have also grown as young Christian men.  You have done a great thing together, and I want to especially thank you for the moments together in that locker room. 



Parents, I am so proud of your sons for who they are, and I am very thankful for the opportunity to coach them.  I am also very thankful for the opportunity to be in the "holy ground" of that locker room with them. 



Family Discussion Points!

Parents:  When a child lets you see what is going on inside his or her heart, do you consider it to be "holy ground" that is truly special?  When has that happened?



When is the time your family tends to talk?  Do you ever plan for it?



Focus on as much "talk time" as you can as a family this week.  Be careful, you might find yourself on "holy ground."

No comments:

Post a Comment