Monday, March 26, 2012

Partners in Parenting

"What in the World!"

My mom used to say that phrase when I was younger.  She'd say it when she was amazed at something.  It would be common for me to hear from her when flowers would bloom, our dog was in the house instead of outside, a new bird came to the bird feeder, etc.  I found myself saying those very words last week Monday.  I started to not feel well Sunday evening, and by Monday at noon, I was extremely sick and in bed.  I laid there in bed and actually said out loud, "What in the world!"  I was amazed at how normal I had felt just a day earlier, but now I was completely miserable.  A couple hours earlier, I was fine, but I was not fine any more. 

In reading about the events of Holy Week, Peter's denial of Jesus made me think he very well could have said, "What in the world!" right when he realized he had denied Jesus three times.  This is amazing since just a few hours earlier, he told Jesus he wouldn't deny him at all.  In fact, he went as far as offering to die for Jesus if needed.  A few hours later, Peter denied even knowing Jesus at all.  "What in the world" were you thinking, Peter?  (Luke 22:54-62, John 21:15-19)

OK, do you ever feel like that as a parent?  Have your kids amazed you with strokes of "genius?"  Have they ever behaved so poorly you couldn't believe it?  There is amazing good and amazing bad.  Maybe you've even said "What in the world" with your own kids.
 

Family Discussion Points!

Parents, share something amazingly good you did as a child.  Something amazingly bad.

Kids - your turn to share something good and bad.

Discuss God's amazing love for us despite our actions.  Use Peter and the Bible references above to give an example of God's love!

No comments:

Post a Comment