Monday, February 4, 2013

Partners in Parenting

“Playing Favorites!”

I have another great story from the boys’ bathroom.  As a principal, great boys’ bathroom stories are pretty regular, and last week, I got a little glimpse into why I don’t have any great girls’ bathroom stories.  Here it goes:

I was using the boys’ bathroom last week when a 2nd grade boy walked in, and he quickly pumped his fist with a big, “YES!!”  I began to chuckle inside, but something told me to just wait for what he’d say next.  He didn’t disappoint me.

“This is my favorite urinal. I like this one the best.  Did you know that?”

I replied, “No, I didn’t know that.  I don’t have a favorite urinal.”

He quipped right back, “You don’t?  You should.  All of us boys have a favorite one.”

I didn’t respond because I was laughing too hard inside.

He goes on, “The boys all have a favorite one, but I don’t think the girls have a favorite.  They never talk about it.  Mr. Petzold, I wonder why they don’t.  Hmm, maybe they just don’t tell us.”

By now, he’s washing his hands, and all I can wonder is if he’s using his favorite sink too!!  Anyway, I just responded, “I just use whatever one I want.”

He dries his hands and said, “Not me. I wait for my favorite.”  Then he skips out the door.  I stood there drying my hands and laughing and thinking and wondering and realizing – no wonder I don’t have a single great girls’ bathroom story – I don’t believe girls think like that! 

I’m a boy, so I wouldn’t know for sure!

Parents, we all might have a favorite color, food, snack, vacation spot, car, etc., but we love all of our kids.  Kids are all different, and some need more help to succeed.  Some need more correction.  Some need more guidance.  Some eat more food.  Basically, some are easier, and some are more difficult.  Like boys and girls are different, no two children are the same.  Be careful about having a favorite child.  God doesn’t do that.  Paul is writing to the church in Rome about how all believers have the same value to God when he writes:  “For God does not show favoritism.” Romans 2:1.1   No favorites!  No matter how different we all are.

Family Discussion Points!

Talk about favorites of all kinds – dessert, TV show, food, game, etc.

Talk about family members differences.

Talk about how God loves us all the same despite our differences.  That’s called unconditional love!

No comments:

Post a Comment