Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Partners in Parenting 10/20/15


“Suddenly Aware!”
Last weekend, I had a very fortunate opportunity to find myself standing motionless with a female deer only 6 yards from me.  The deer and I were unaware of each other’s presence as I was walking in the corn row and she was walking along the edge of the corn.  Thankfully, I was suddenly aware of her before she became aware of me.  She walked to within 6 yards of me.  I could see her lick her nose, flare her nostrils, blink her eyes, and even twitch her ear once to get a flying bug off her.  It was so amazing to be that close.  However, at only 6 yards, she sensed something wasn’t normal in that corn, looked in my direction, and calmly trotted away.  Once she was suddenly aware of my presence, it changed her course of travel.



Here is a similar picture, compliments of author, Reggie Joyner:
 
I was at a conference last week, and I was suddenly aware of the fleeting time I have with my children.  I have a 6th Grader at Trinity, and here is the reality:
He is 77% finished with his time in elementary school.  High school is just around the corner. He is 2/3 finished with his life on earth before high school graduation.  Only 1/3 left, and he’ll be off to college and no longer at home.
As he gets older, I seem to see less of him due to his involvement in things outside of home.
I see him less now than before, and that will probably continue to be the trend.
And finally…I need to tell other parents this important information.

I realized a few things.  My time on earth is unknown.  My time with my children is fleeting, and it is precious.  My time with my kids is now, and I better be serious about how I spend my time.
I want all our parents to be “suddenly aware” of this because, like the doe I saw, once we are aware, it might change our course of travel…in parenting our kids.
“You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes.”  James 4:14b


Family Discussion Points!
Parents, share a time in your life that went by very quickly now that you can look back.
Kids, tell your parents about a time that you got really close to a person or animal without them seeing you.
Parents and kids, talk about how valuable time is in building and maintaining a relationship with God and each other.  We will probably never get as much time together as we want!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment