Monday, October 5, 2015


Partners in Parenting

“Getting Noticed!”

I believe most people enjoy being noticed for something they have done well or accomplished.  I believe most people enjoy a compliment on a new hairdo, project completed, outfit, or other noticeable act.  I believe most people like getting noticed by others because getting noticed seems to indicate that a person stands out from the rest.  This can help people feel important in a world so full of ordinary people doing ordinary things. 

Parents, do you ever feel like a regular mom or average dad?  I do.  Have you ever thought that you are “just trying to figure out all this parenting stuff?”  I have.  Have you ever wondered if you are just totally messing your kids up and praying they can fix themselves enough to be happy and successful adults?  I have.

I think most parents don’t feel they are deserving of either the “Mom of the Month” or “Dad of the Decade” Award (if there were such awards).  Most of us just work hard to do the best we can for our kids.  That is our perspective.

But every once in a while… our kids give us their perspective.  Have you heard something like this:

“Thanks Mom!  You’re the best!”

“I appreciate the help, Dad.  Nobody could have helped me like that.”

“You are the greatest cook in the world!”

“You are so awesome!  I’m glad you are my parent.”

The point I’m getting at is that parents are constantly “getting noticed” by their kids.  Parents are the unique people God has placed in a child’s life in order to influence them as they grow.  I saw this tree on our playground last week, and I love the fact that one branch is different and easy to notice from the rest.  It is red when all the others are still green.  It reminded me of how children see their parents – different from all the rest! 

                                                          

Family Discussion Points!

Kids, tell each of your parents something you really appreciate about your parents.

Everyone, try to give each family member at least on compliment every day this week.

Discuss whether God wants us to stand out to the world around us or whether He wants us to blend in with everyone else.  Why do you think what you think?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment