Wednesday, October 14, 2015


Partners in Parenting

“Follow the Leader to Love!”
I really enjoy playing “Follow the Leader” or “Simon Says” with kids.  I may be a bit old for simple childhood games like this, but I’m really a “big kid” at heart!  I love tricking kids during “Simon Says” using a few standby tactics that will usually trip up about 80% of the participants.  The other 20% of the kids will usually fall out with the one tactic I save for the end – speed.  If I get going through commands really quickly, the kids get going so fast that they can’t keep themselves from messing up.  Parents, you can try this at home, and you’ll see that speed is tough to overcome.  I do the same thing without words during “Follow the Leader.”  Just go fast, and kids will struggle to keep up. 
The same is true for many things in life – like parenting children.  The parent is the “Leader” or “Simon” to a child.  It is difficult to “Follow the Leader” who is franticly paced or barking multiple commands so quickly that the follower feels lost and confused.  If “Simon” says too much, too fast, there is a chance that a child will tune out most of what is said.


This week, I had three 8th Grade students helping me put together the new tables and chairs in the lobby.  We worked side by side.  They imitated every step I did as their leader.  Everything turned out great, but I had to be sure they were following me every step of the way.  Therefore, I took my time and didn’t rush.
Kids are following parents, but I wonder if parents are going so fast, so often, that kids are struggling to be able to imitate them.  I want to encourage parents to slow down life as much as you can so you have more time to love your spouse and your kids.  Parents need someone to follow too.  I hope, for the sake of your kids following you, it is God you are following as your Leader.  It isn’t easy, but it is good to do so!
“Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children and live a life of love…” Ephesians 5:1-2a
                                                       
Family Discussion Points!
Play “Simon Says” and “Follow the Leader” often this week.  Let everyone have a chance being Simon or the Leader.
Parents, talk to each other about how to show your kids love.  Everyone has a different “Love Language,” so it is helpful to know how to show your kids love best.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment