Monday, December 7, 2015

Partners in Parenting 11/30/15


“It’s Getting Kind of Heavy!”
The heavy snow we got last week was so beautiful.  The snow was wet, so I saw lots of snowmen being built.  The first good snow of the year had lots of kids excited for the opportunity to play in it.  As I drove down the road, I was amazed at the way the snow made all the trees look like each branch was completely white.  It all looked majestic…
…until I woke up the next morning!  My 25 foot tall pear tree was quite different from the heavy snow.  The middle of the tree was all hallowed out.  The branch that broke extended to the peak of the tree, but now it was laying on the ground.
 
The snow was beautiful, but it was heavy.  The stress caused by the weight of the snow was more than that branch could bear.  As I worked to clean up the tree later in the day, I was reminded how life can get that way sometimes.  It just gets “heavy.”  As a parent, I don’t get to just focus on parenting.  I wish I could, but God has given me things to do besides being a parent.  It gets hard when I manage so many other competing things.  So, how does a person keep from “breaking” when things get really “heavy?” 
I don’t have a perfect answer, but I know that for me, I need to remind myself to remove things that don’t matter to God and my family in order to find some relief.  Just think!  If that tree could have removed some snow from its branches while the snow kept falling, it would still be completely intact today.  Especially at Christmas, things get pretty “heavy” with all the things to do, but really, we might be wise to remove some of those things that don’t matter so we don’t “break” under all the stress!  Start with a focus on God and then your family, and see what you can get rid of in the weeks ahead.
“Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed.  Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”  Like 10: 41,42
 
Family Discussion Points!
Have every family member share their favorite Christmas tradition that they don’t want to have stop.  Protect all those things as a family!
Consider and talk about what God thinks would be most important about Christmas time for us today if He were to tell us.  Protect these things too!
Consider getting rid of some of the “heavy” things, OR reducing your time spent on them if you are not able to eliminate them.

No comments:

Post a Comment