Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Partners in Parenting 12/14/15


“Look and really see!”
The Christmas song, “Do You Hear What I Hear?” starts with an interesting line that has nothing to do with hearing.  Here it is:
“Said the night wind to the little lamb,
Do you see what I see?
Way up in the sky, little lamb,
Do you see what I see?”
As you enjoy Christmas as a family, I would love to have you consider what you see and hear.  I don’t mean for you to merely see with your eyes, but possibly the best way to describe what I mean is to ask you to see with your heart.

For instance, take a look at the picture here.  At first glance, I see:

  • Table
  • Poster
  • coloring books
  • crayons 
That is what my eyes see.  But my heart sees something more meaningful and much deeper.  My heart sees:
  • A student taking initiative to help students at Children’s Hospital to have something to do during their stay
  • A school coming together to serve others
  • A parent of another student deciding to join the cause by making cookies to raise money for more crayons and coloring books
  • A public school cheer team hearing about the project and joining efforts for kids
  • An idea becoming a reality for the benefit of others
  • Jesus’ love at work
The heart sees way more than the eyes.  God’s heart saw humanity’s need, and he sent his Son, Jesus, to be our Savior.  As you celebrate Christmas, I pray all our families see things with their heart, not just their eyes!

Family Discussion Points!
Play a game of “I Spy” with your kids with physical things.  Then try it with things of the heart like this:  I spy someone serving our family by helping with the dishes or laundry, etc.
Parents, talk about the excitement of seeing your kids opening gifts.  What in your heart makes that event so exciting?
Finally, talk to your kids about how God saw our greatest need and sent Jesus to be our Savior. 

No comments:

Post a Comment