Monday, December 7, 2015

Partners in Parenting 12/7/15

“Gaining Perspective!”
Take a look at the picture.  Can you guess what it is?  It is a close up of something.  Talk with your kids, because they have a better shot at guessing it than most of the parents do.

Yes, I know it is out of focus!  Yes, I know it isn’t fair of me to ask this question. Yes, I am aware that it is hard to figure out!  Would it help if I put a $100 reward on the table for the first person who figures it out???  Or is it just plain not worth your time??
I’m sharing this picture because I have had so many events happen in my life lately where people are struggling with an issue due to a lack of perspective.  It is our tendency as humans to live in the moment as though the moment is all that matters.  This is a belief that Satan would love for us to have because it makes his job of tempting us so much easier.  It is pretty easy to deceive someone whose perspective on life is out of focus on the “big picture.”  It is more difficult to deceive someone whose perspective on life is laser focused on the “big picture.”
Parents, I want to challenge you to take a look at the activities of your kids’ lives, and look at them from a “big picture” perspective.  Allow me to help you!
This is the truth!
  • A recent study indicated that 26% of parents with a high school athlete believed their child has enough talent to play that sport professionally.  The real number is a tiny fraction of a tiny fraction of 1%.
  • I can’t remember which students at Trinity had a detention in October.  I’d have to check our records to find out.
  • I can’t recall my grades from grade school or high school.  I just remember my parents being happy if I did my best and equally frustrated if I wasn’t doing my best.
  • Since graduating from college, nobody has ever commented to me about my GPA.  They have commented on my character though.
In other words, much of the stuff in life doesn’t matter as much as we make it out to matter.  Seems God always keeps a “big picture” look at us, and maybe we should look at ourselves, our kids, and others that way more often as well!
“No, in all these things, we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.”  Romans 8:37

Family Discussion Points!
Take a look at the picture!  Have every family member take a guess!
Ask your children to read something as fast as possible by holding the paper so close that their nose touches the paper.  Laugh with them, not at them!!! J
Discuss places where your family has lost perspective!
(see the back of the Tweet to see a “big picture” perspective of the picture above)

No comments:

Post a Comment